Karatu Simba Lodge is conveniently located midway between Lake Manyara National Park and the Ngorongoro Crater near the bustling town of Karatu, home to the Iraqw tribe. It’s possible to visit a traditional Iraqw homestead, a local brick factory, the town market and other areas of cultural interest. If you’re looking for a good hike there are areas to explore or just take a village walk. Many of the below activities may already be on your itinerary and your safari guide will accompany you. Or, contact us in advance for suggested activities and prices.
- Game drives in Lake Manyara National Park
- Visit nearby Ngorongoro Crater
- Birding on the lodge grounds
- Visit Lake Eyasi and the interesting tribes there
- Cultural activities in Karatu
- Guided walks to Ngorongoro Forest and elephant caves
- Enjoy the swimming pool at the lodge
- Nightly campfire at sundown
There is a small market at the junction to the main road in Rhotia village that takes place every Sunday, offering a great opportunity for visitors to experience a little taste of local life. On the seventh and twenty-fifth of each month there is a larger, bustling regional market on the way to Ngorongoro. Also the town of Karatu is nearby with markets and other places of interest to discover.